Monday, June 22, 2015

Modeling Instruction in Physics: Day 1

Today was the first day of the Modeling Instruction in Physics workshop (in Novi), and so far, there are 3 things standing out in my brain. 

1. We're getting a stipend for this! I'm having trouble comprehending the idea that I'm getting paid to get professional development I so very much want (and need, in my opinion). Honestly, I'd be comfortable paying for a 3-week intensive workshop like this.  


2. There's a big difference between thinking about Modeling Instruction and having a Modeling mindset. Ok, I know it's Day 1 of the workshop, but this is what struck me. I've been reading about and tinkering with Modeling in my classroom for a year now, so I have a lot of thoughts on how to implement it and how to adjust my teaching (you know, the "I talk too much and do more work than my students" sort of teaching). But I don't have a Modeling mindset. (It's the difference between thinking in English and translating to German, and thinking in German.) 

After class today, while I was waiting to ask Laura, one of our facilitators, a question, I jumped in on a discussion my group mate, Lindsay, was having with her. Lindsay was troubled by a statement made earlier that day, "Be less clear," because that's what her math students have always complemented her on - how clearly she breaks down whatever they're working on for them. What struck me most was the difference between my responses to her and Laura's responses to her. Mine consisted of, "Here's what you can do," and "Here's what I try to do." Laura's were along the lines of, "It's good that you're recognizing that in yourself," and "It's Day 1, what matters is Day 15 and how you've improved," and "Be thinking about how you can reframe those skills for Modeling." (All of those are paraphrases, not direct quotes - I can't remember the exact wording...) There I went with the telling, and there Laura went, letting the student figure it out. 

I hope I learn to think about the type of response I'm going to give to any question (teacher-to-teacher or student-to-teacher) before I talk.


3. Why couldn't my teachers have taught this way?! I wish my physics classes had been Modeling courses and not "story problems 101". 

This is going to be awesome!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't help notice the blog below this one and the obvious connection to today's reading discussion.

    I really appreciate the struggle of not being the teller! It was so hard to break but now the evil side of me secretly enjoys seeing the struggle of my students trying to come to their own answers. So much more effective for them.

    ReplyDelete